l02tur...@comcast.net wrote:
I put Goodyear Eagles (195-65-15s) on the 91 300D shortly after we bought it and was very disappointed with their performance - poor wet, poor dry and rapid wear. The Kuhmo Extsa's on it now seem the opposite! I guess the car is very important when it comes to tire performance - we had exactly the opposite results --
Go figger -

Rim width and tread depth can mean a lot too, not to mention those zero tread depth Eagles were the only V rated tires I can recall using. 190D rims are narrower than 2.3-16 rims, and it's possible that those five spoke Rikens were even wider than stock 2.3-16 rims. All I can say for sure is that they were wider than the 190DT rims when I swapped them. The Kumhos were a low end model, about a month old and 11-12/32 deep, the Eagles were probably 2-4/32.

I'm not sure about ultimate cornering ability, but it practically jumped into corners with the V-rated 205/55 tires and wallowed like a pig with the 195/65 tires. I drove it to where I was storing the 190D, swapped wheels, and it was a marked difference driving home. Tire pressure might have played a part too.