But Dan, they were such a huge jump from the 108/109 cars.  They
established the classic layout of instruments and controls that were
used for many generations of cars.  Suspension was much improved (ball
joints and rubber bushings!), and alot of these design features were
carried over onto the W123 and W126.  Handling is superior to the
W108, and not much different from a W126.  Integrated heating and air
conditioning systems started with the 116.  Sound insulation, interior
safety and comfort features, were all superior.  The list goes on and
on.

If anything, I'd say a W126 is really just a small step away from the
W116, where the real engineering advances occurred.

Jaime