Good points, Jaime, and ones I had not considered.

In my case, the W116 chassis cars are one model I skipped ownership of.  The
ones I have seen or worked on have been less than ideal examples, which has, no
doubt, colored my opinions of them.

The body style never appealed to me, and many of the ones I have seen have been
real beaters or in Stage 4 body cancer.  That being said, I think a 6.9 would
be a fun car to have in the W116 line, more from a performance standpoint than
looks.

While many of the advancements that took place in the W116 were certainly major
improvements over the former models, another thing that sort of poisoned my
opinion were things like the ACC system.  These efforts on MB's part to achieve
progress were pretty lousy, and got resolved in later model lines like the W123
and W126.

Of all the MBs I've owned over the years, my 1982 300SD was, by far, the best.
From reliability, simplicity, ease of operation and maintenance, the W126 was,
in my opinion, the jewel in the crown of MB for many years.

After the 300SD it would be a tie between my 1992 300E and 1988 420SEL.  The
300E was a great car, but the interior comfort was not even close to that of
the W126 chassis cars.  The 420SEL had the wonderful long wheelbase W126 body,
but the engine was a ticking time bomb (literally!)

I like the simplicity of the W111 models - call them austere of you like - but
they are easy to repair and maintain and are quite rugged with the unique good
looks of an MB.  A nice finnie is always a head-turner, not just because of
it's age, but it's subtle styling that makes it both different and innocuous at
the same time.  Take that up a notch to the W112 and you have a really nice
car, but the expense of a very technically advanced car for its time.  My 1962
300SE was a wonderful car, but any time it hiccuped I freaked out, fearing that
one of it's unobtanium parts was going to fail...

Thanks for the insight to the W116 chassis cars - I have long given them the
short look for a lot of reasons, but your comments certainly point out their
significance in the development of the product line.

Dan