On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Jaime Kopchinski <jaime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But Dan, they were such a huge jump from the 108/109 cars.  They
> established the classic layout of instruments and controls that were
> used for many generations of cars.

That's an important point.  One of the things I love about Mercedes is
the consistent control layout---no changing it just for the sake of
change.  I'm partial to 124s and 126s, but I've driven plenty of 123s
and 107s, the occasional 116, and even a 202, and all of them felt
comfortable and familiar thanks to the lightswitch and the combo
switch, among other things, all being the same.   Even a Dodge Charger
has the same control layout!  (Sadly, I read that
post-Fiat-acquisition they're going back to the standard Chrysler
setup for the 2011 Charger and Chrysler 300, although the
210-chassis-derived suspension will be carried over.)

Alex