On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:
> I think most of us just want usable cruising gears(keep the rpms high enough
> to avoid timing retard, most of the indirect mbz diesels had timers that
> were in spec if they maxed out between 1800 and 2200 rpm)
>
> My dream car:
> Goes off the line as if it had the gearing from a 190D (4.23:1 first gear,
> 3.x diff), fifth gear only used for cruising 50+mph, sixth gear only used
> for cruising 65+.

Seconded.  For my '87 300D, I'd want a 5-speed where first through
fourth are close to the same ratios as the factory automatic, and
fifth is a fuel-saver overdrive for highway cruising.  An even higher
sixth strictly for going 70 mph on the flat would be nice, but not
mandatory.

As far as the nature of the conversion kit, I'd like to see
instructions like this:
1. Find a 5-speed from a transmission from an '85-'89 Chevy Astro van
with a 2.5-liter engine (or whatever)
2. Find a pedal cluster from an '84-92 5-speed W201 (or whatever)
3. Buy the following Mercedes parts (list by part number)
4. Get your driveshaft shortened to xxx cm
5. Using the above parts and the enclosed bellhousing adaptor,...
...followed by instructions sufficiently detailed for my indy mechanic
to follow if I give the kit to him to install.

Alex