Alex Chamberlain wrote:

Hmm, interesting.  Then what I want is a 5-speed where the top and
bottom ratios are the same as the automatic's, with the gears in
between spaced appropriately closer together.  Mitch?

Didn't I post the ratios on the 2.3-16 5sp? 4.08 first, 1.00 5th IIRC.

I do know of somebody who reports 39mpg on a 190D 2.5 5sp with 2.65 diff.
I don't know if he has the .78 overdrive or the .84, but he really doesn't like first gear with no torque converter and a 2.65 axle ratio.