market for overdrive manual trans conversions for MBs,

With our 190D 2.5 manual conversion we have effectively an
overdrive situation, and it's useless.  No point, really,
to fifth gear.  Stay in four, why not?  The diff gearing is
too tall.  The whole car drives 'wrong', and now that we've
got a few miles on it (and now that the suspension is sufficiently
rebuilt) I can blame most of it on the gearing.  The old 200D
is _so_ nice to drive around, whereas this is so.... not.
MB's really quite good at engineering cars, seems to me.
The rest of the 190D experience would be just peachy, were
the torque characteristics even half so good as the 200D's.
(OK, it's a bit small inside.)

We just got back from a road trip to Rajneesh-ville in Oregon
(long since under new management!), the car behaved fairly well,
except for the gearing complaints and some oddness from the heater.
We had a heck of a headwind most of the way over and the car took
it well, but only turned in about 34MPG Spokane to Biggs.  (No figures
yet for the return leg, but I know it was better since it was
150 miles longer [Biggs/Antelope both ways] and we still had 1/4 tank
indicated as we got home.)

-- Jim