> Alex Chamberlain wrote:

> Well, FWIW, my interest in a stick conversion on my '87 stems
> mostly from being tired of putzing around with the
> vacuum/pressure transmission control bits trying to get it to
> shift as smoothly as my gasser Benzes.  I think of the
> overdrive as icing on the cake that might or might not be
> useful.  At highway speeds the engine is turning around 3000
> rpm and right on the edge of building boost.  This makes for
> great passing ability, since if you floor it to the kickdown
> point, you get maximum torque and strong acceleration RIGHT
> NOW.  I'm quite sure the engineers designed it that way.

I'm sure they did.  But I'd guess it's not for the response.

It's probably more that the engine is way more efficient when
the turbo is providing boost.  So you definitely want the engine
just into the boost range at cruise speed.

> But I'd be just as happy having a 5-speed and being able to
> choose whether to cruise in 4th (getting much the same
> behavior by downshifting to 3rd if I feel like it) or in 5th
> (with the engine turning a little slower and quieter).

But with a turbocharged engine, if engine is running slower and
quieter - but is not yet fast enough for the turbo to
contribute, it will burn _more_ fuel that with it turning a bit
faster.  This is counter intuitive, but part of the magic of a
turbo.  Remember hearing all those stories of turbo diesels that
get better fuel mileage as the speed increases above 65 MPH?
That's why.

--    Philip