Yeah the Bosch units have a reputation for being quiet.
The S/H one I am looking at is made in the Fatherland.
The problem I see is that a Whirlpool machine is not worth repairing, specially seeing that a main wash pump costs between AU$250-300 and that may not be the problem with it, getting an expert out to look at it will cost $$$'s, so I figure spending AU$150 on an older Bosch makes more sense, at least a Bosch will be worth repairing. There is a fair price range of different new Bosch models, from AU$600-AU$2000, so I am not sure if the internal bits on a 600 machine is the same as a 2K machine. As a side note, I think Siemens sells re-branded Bosch dishwashers and Miele don't have that good a reputation anymore
http://www.productreview.com.au/c/dishwashers/m/miele.html
http://www.productreview.com.au/c/dishwashers/m/bosch.html

Hendrik

Rich Thomas wrote:
I have bought and installed 2 Bosch dishwashers to replace POS whatevers. They are very quiet (wifey just started ours a few minutes ago, can't hear it running) and do a great job washing the dishes in them. All the models seem to have the same guts but differ in the controls (location, buttons, electronic, etc.) and the tray thingies inside. I bought one a coupla years ago from Lowes (our big box home supplies store) from the floor, was the cheap model with pushbuttons, and got the guy to swap the trays in it with another one there that had ones I liked better. (then I beat him down on the price because it was a floor display) Last I heard the US Bosch dishwashers were manufactured here in the US, in North or maybe South Carolina. Not sure what y'all get in the Antipodes.

When you remove your old one, save the insulator blanket and put it on the new one, to get double quiet!

--R