The issue is more reliability I think -- if you have a beater sort of car that takes a bit of work and parts to keep running, but is essentially reliable (i.e., won't strand you somewhere due to catastrophic failure), then throwing a few bucks at it now and again, and some fix-it time, is not unreasonable. Unless it becomes a train wreck, then keep it going.

Now your average wife probably has no sense of any of that, but that is just wifely thing, might as well live with it.

But keeping the car going is probably cheaper than buying a new(er) one.

-_R