Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 11:58 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] A lost cause?

I know that many of you are essentially bottom feeders when it comes to
vehicles, and I mean no disrespect when I say that as I tend to fall
into that category to a great extent myself.

The question for you is essentially, when do you call it a lost cause?

There has to be a time when a vehicle ceased to be worth putting money
into it. How do you decide at what point that happens?

I know that some of you firmly believe that a 123 wagon is the state of
the art in the auto world etc but beyond that sort of blind devotion,
what makes you continue or not continue with a vehicle?

My younger son works as a mechanic in a shop that caters to people with
more money than brains when it comes to "classic"  vehicles and maybe
that causes me to think more about some of this.

I have my 76 115 300D and know that whatever I put into it  has to be
for my enjoyment as I will never "make money" on it.
The same goes for my 02 F150 Supercrew. I really like it and so far it
has not cost me a whole lot but it is about 10 years old and has over
150K miles on it so cost must mount over time.

I have been thinking about another car but am really reluctant to spend
big dollars on something new  or even "newer" so I have this mental
dilemma. Am I crazy to get involved in something that will no doubt
cause me some grief???

Having re-read what I typed above, I womder if I am getting my point
accross?

I guess what I am hoping for is a bit of an ongoing thread with opinions
by many of you setting forth your own philosophies on this sort of thing.

Randy