I have a son who will soon be buying his first car, which, if I have any input,
will be a decent W123 or W126 chassis.

Why? A number of reasons:

1.) The acquisition cost. A young person with a few thousand $$ and minimal
income can't afford anything remotely late model that isn't a beater and/or
will require expensive repairs because there is so little the typical owner can
do on newer cars.

2.) Value. Despite the age, these cars hold their value, as little as it might
be.

3.) Repair costs. Short of a major catastrophe, such as an engine or
transmission, these cars aren't that expensive to repair.

4.) Going back to #1, the ability for most owners to maintain these cars gives
them the ability to add to their skill set by learning how to maintain the car.
Forums such as this as well as the easy availability of manuals and related
materials makes the task that much easier.

There are certainly some downsides to this approach, such as the time involved
in maintaining the car, and having the resources to do it, but I think in the
long run it's a win-win - especially in situations like this.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone