On 14/11/2011 12:54 PM, Fmiser wrote:
The question for you is essentially, when do you call it a
lost cause?
Easy!  When the cost exceeds the value. Oh, but cost can be
tricky 'cause it's not just money but time, confidence,
irritation, dependability, etc.  And value is hard to pin down
too - with factors of appearance, sentiment, availability,
status, function, capability, etc.

There has to be a time when a vehicle ceased to be worth
putting money into it. How do you decide at what point that
happens?
A wagon better fits what I need a car for, and are harder to
find, so the value is higher.  Therefore I'm willing to spend
more on them.

I have my 76 115 300D and know that whatever I put into it
has to be for my enjoyment as I will never "make money" on it.
The same goes for my 02 F150 Supercrew. I really like it and
so far it has not cost me a whole lot but it is about 10 years
old and has over 150K miles on it so cost must mount over time.

I have been thinking about another car but am really reluctant
to spend big dollars on something new  or even "newer" so I
have this mental dilemma. Am I crazy to get involved in
something that will no doubt cause me some grief???
I retired my 1/2-ton farm truck when I found a similar 3/4-ton
with a better body.  Since the 1/2-ton did not have the
capacity I wanted/needed and the body rusted to the point the
doors wouldn't close well, I choose to look for a
higher-capacity truck.  That was an easy choice since even if
the 1/2-ton was in perfect condition it would not be what I
wanted.

I too have considered a 3/4 ton but I rarely need the ability to haul that much. My primary desire is the diesel version which makes me look at 3/4 tons. I want a Dodge with the Cummins but if I drove it like I do the F150 I would likely kill it in winter with all my short trips. In summer it would be good for the highway runs to the lake and for launching and retrieving boats etc.

So far, the F150 does it all and I suppose I should be smart enough to enjoy and leave well enough alone, but how many of us can do that??

Seem I typically place a big order with Rusty once or twice a
year.  While it could seem out-of-balance to spend $500 on
parts for a car I bought for less than $2000 I think of it as
the price of one car payment and I feel much better.

--    Philip

I do truly understand the desire to avoid depreciation and to have lower insurance costs etc. However, there is something to be said for late model vehicles. My wife has had her 07 Accord since it was about a year old and is very happy with it. I, on the other hand have had to do almost nothing on it, so I am happy too. We change the oil and we swap summer and winter tires on and off. It had something like 25K miles on it when she got it and I think it has 42K or so miles on it now. Most of her travel is close to home. It rarely sees the highway and her commute to work is maybe a mile or two. Nice to have a vehicle that rarely needs me.

My truck has been good to me as well. It is an 02 and it has about 153K miles on it. It had about 90K on it when I got it about 5 years ago. I have done brakes, a axle seals, pinion seal, ball joints, a power door lock actuator and that is about it apart from oil changes, etc, and a set of spark plugs and a couple of coils (but they were not the fault of the truck per se). I have to say it has been nice to have a vehicle that did not need attention regularly over the past few years.

However, I paid $17500 for it and it is now worth maybe $8 so I have paid for my trouble free travel. Prices may sound high to you but I am in Canada and we do tend to get hosed. It is a nice truck - Lariat with leather etc.

Randy