I looked on the Charleston CL, found these recent postings -- there is some decent stuff all the time listed:

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2855939965.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2834570881.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2870707950.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2865771097.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2864704069.html

This is a nice machine  http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2859233805.html

This guy is some kind of collector/reseller, always posting stuff http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/2844213425.html

Lots of choices. Not sure where you are but this stuff is out there all over the place. For a bennie you ought to be able to find something nice.

My buddy at the Habitat ReStore gave me some sort of turntable (a Technics I think, not a very good machine but it would spin a platter), the belt on it was broken and the cart was kinda beat, but you can get belts and cartridges pretty cheap.

Do you use Audacity to rip the vinyl?

--R (who has his Pioneer PL-51 sitting right here next to me, was my Christmas present in 1973, and goes nicely with my 1973 Pioneer SX-727 receiver I bought back then -- the large Advents are downstairs hooked up to the TV and still shaking the walls)