Something else to consider, from working on a lot of Ford industrial engines
with similar eccentric pump arrangements:

Sometimes these require that you "finess" the pump lever into the engine to
assure that it is up against the eccentric on the cam properly.  I know that in
some engines with this arrangement, getting the lever in the wrong way will
cause it to be bent or broken off.

In other words, you might have to point the pump level down as it enters the
opening on the side of the engine and rotate the whole pump up to mate with the
block to get the lever in the proper place.

Also, depending on the position of the eccentric, in some cases when you insert
the lever/pump into the opening and get close to drawing it down with the
mounting bolts, you'll feel the resistance of the spring as the lever is
pressed against the eccentric.

Dan