In googling around on this, I found the following advice:

"One last thing, even if you are not using the mechanical fuel pump, install
the fuel pump drive anyway. It will keep the cam bolt from loosening up.
Also, the drive pin in the cam sprocket must be 1 5/8" long and made from
chrome moly steel. These are available from Dove."

On this page: http://www.doveengineparts.com/documents/31.html

So it sounds like there is a fuel pump drive (like a cam?) bolted to the
gear on the front end of the cam shaft and maybe this came lose on your
engine.

Here's a photo: http://www.hotrod.com/webonly_january/photo_14.html

If this puppy is running around lose inside the gear vault, I'd be
concerned.  Looks like it would be a pig to fix with the engine installed.