Tom Scordato wrote:
Here is my method

I fill my New canister filter with clean kerosene. Eliminates the air pocket caused by dry filter. If no kerosene, poor old canister filter diesel into the new filter carefully. The half a pint of unfiltered diesel will not hurt you.

Then carefully new filter screw back on. May still run some what rough but usually not. Helps if car is hot. I change my in line and canister filters every when I do my lube oil change and that I do after I have run the car on highway for 20-30 miles or so.

After change get in have fun and run her like hell. these old cars are not pieces of furniture, They are best if run on highway continuously.

You can also use a can of Diesel Purge or in a REAL pinch a qt of ATF to fill the filter! Both are clean.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi