From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Hendrik & Fay
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:32 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Quotes with comment

I can see that spending money on the poor is a problematic plan, insofar
that it will not generate a lot of new jobs.
However the idea that spending money on the rich will fix everything is
also flawed insofar that they tend to ship jobs overseas to maximise
profits.

The core problem is that reasonably well paying, low skilled
manufacturing jobs are not there to employ the poor, so they have to be
supported with hand outs etc.
Obviously we are all to blame, we wanna buy the cheap stuff. For
instance the local car makers here are struggling to compete against
imports, you can buy a new VW golf for round about 20k or a Suzuki for
12k if you really wanna cheap out. Opel (German version of GM) has just
entered the Oz market
http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range.html and Holden are
less than happy about this, as they used to sell rebadged Opels.

Basically we can blame rampant capitalism for all our problems.
Shareholders want big fat dividends and don't care how they are achieved.
For example what do you think would happen if the Apple board announced
that they intend to move production of their iWhatever back to the
States, with a resulting drop in profits due to higher manufacturing
costs? More than likely they would get the sack for fiscal irresponsibility.
They can bleat on long as they like about made in America and jobs for
Americans but will it wash with the shareholders?

Anyway enough ranting from me.

Hendrik
who is sending this from his cheap Asian manufactured computer