BIL loved Studebakers. When they went under, he bought Chevys and then a Pinto. About ten miles out of Tampa on the way to Pennsylvania, the Pinto caught fire. For the rest of his life he was happy with a GM car independently made in Tennessee; I forget its name. Gerry...who bent Studebaker valve wrenches and used them to adjust Mercedes diesel engine valves for years.
Gerry

From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
My Dad was an executive VP of a GM division (GMAC) in the 60s, and like all of the GM execs, he got program cars and dibs on anything else they had for the most part. When the Opel arrangement went in the tank in the late 60s, they gave him the option to pick whatever he wanted from the remaining inventory that was warehoused somewhere on the east coast. So my poor, long suffering Mom got a brand new, Opel Kadett. (I say this because her previous car was also a "child" of one of GMs failed ventures, a Vauxhall wagon. After the Opel she got her first new car, a 1971-1/2 Ford Pinto hatchback.) I remember that car well, as it was so poorly built and "tin cannish" it wasn't funny. Mom loved stick shift cars, which this was, and she thrashed the bejesus out of it. The car was a light blue, and the interior was so spartan I seem to recall that it had rubber mats and no carpet. Not sure what happened to it, but I'm sure there wasn't much left of it when Mom was done with it.
Dan