The car I really remember that was one of Dad's "freebies" from GM was my
sister's Renault Dauphine. That had a pushbutton shifter and was a real POS.  I
remember the spare tire being in a "slot" of sorts in the front bumper.

She ran it out of coolant one time and drove it home anyway.  My Dad came
running home from his office (about 5 minutes away) and started dumping buckets
of hot water into the cooling system to keep it from melting down (picture "Mad
Men" suit, tie and hat running in and out of the garage with metal bucket full
of hot water.)  As I seem to recall, after this occurred the car went to our
trusted indie and had all the cooling system seals replaced, or something to
that effect.

Dan