I remember that car [Kadett] well, as it was so poorly built and "tin cannish" it wasn't funny.

My HS math teacher had a Kadett. (Logging town, "B" school, you can imagine
the pay grade.)  She lived with her parents, and I think the Kadett was
well-used by that time. Not much of a car, is what we all thought of it.
I imagine it was as close to free as a car could get, I do recall rust.

interior was so spartan I seem to recall that it had rubber mats and no carpet.

As did my Falcon.  When I had it restored I had to have it carpeted,
since a molded-to-fit rubber mat wasn't available.  The carpet _is_
nicer, but a hose-out interior has its place too!

-- Jim