On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:22:13 -0600 OK Don <okd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those of you running gensets on Propane/LP - what is the fuel burn
> rate? How long can you run on am 80% full 500 gal. tank?

I did some measurements of the generator set I built in Colorado I built
in the late '80s, but I don't remember the results. Sorry.

> I still can't decide whether to go with Propane or Diesel. I have a 500
> gal propane tank that is now only used for the grill and the small
> guest house when it's really cold.
> Propane is crazy expensive here, $1.60/gal, IIRC.
> I've not had sucess finding comparative operations costs between the two
> fuel sources.

>From http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/energy.html :
        Fuel Energy Content & Conversions

The exact values will vary depending on the quality of the fuel and in
some cases the pressure.

Propane         1 gallon = 91,500 BTU
                1 cubic foot = 2,500 BTU
                1 pound = 21,500 BTU
                4.24 lbs = 1 gallon
                36.39 cubic feet = 1 gallon

Natural Gas     1 cubic foot = 1,050 BTU

Gasoline        1 pound = 19,000 BTU
                1 gallon = 125,000 BTU
                1 gallon = 6.1 lbs

Oils            1 gallon kerosene = 135,000 BTU
                1 gallon #2 oil = 138,500 BTU
                1 gallon diesel = 139,200 BTU
                1 gallon #6 oil = 153,200 BTU

Other Fuels (dry)

        1 lb hydrogen = 51,892 BTU with steam as product
        1 lb coal (anthracite) = 12,700 BTU
        1 lb coal (subituminous) = 8,800 BTU
        1 lb coal (bituminous) = 11,500 BTU
        1 lb pine wood bark = 9,200 BTU
        1 lb hardwood bark = 8,400 BTU
        1 lb wood = 7,870 BTU
        1 lb dung = 7,500 BTU
        1 lb waste paper = 6,500 BTU
        1 lb sawdust/shavings = 3,850 BTU
        1 kWH electricity = 3,413 BTU
        1 therm any fuel = 100,000 BTU

For the fuels in question,

        1 gallon diesel = 139,200 BTU
        1 gallon propane = 91,500 BTU

So, from an energy perspective, 1 gallon propane = 0.657 gallon diesel.

With on-road diesel at $4.189/gallon and guessing road taxes to be
$0.50/gallon, that gives off-road diesel at $3.689/gallon. 0.657 gallon
of diesel would then cost $2.42, which makes propane at $1.60/gallon less
expensive.

Craig