On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM, OK Don <okd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK - thanks!
>
> Now that I have a rational and scientific method to compare fuels, I
> checked on real prices. I found that Propane cost us 2.60/gal last time we
> filled - not the 1.60 that I quoted.
> Current prices are:
> Diesel road taxes in OK + Fed = $0.38/gal. (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Diesel_Taxes_April_2009.svg)
> Diesel ranges from $3.49 to $4.29/gal. but is $3.63 at my usual station
> now. (http://oklahomacitygasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D)
> So $3.25/gal for a genset.
> Propane is currently $2.02/gal from our supplier (need to top off the
> tank!). American Propane Gas Company -
> http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/LPG/Oklahoma/Oklahoma-City/
>
> So, $3.25*0.657=$2.14 for Diesel vs. $2.02 for propane - not that much of
> a delta. Even if the delta were reversed, it certainly is not enough for a
> 270 or so gallon Diesel tank installation to match the capacity I currently
> have for propane. I should stay with what I have :)
>  Three gallons an hours at $6/hr for 24 hours = $145/day for electricity!
> No wonder we buy it from the mass producers! This is a good argument for
> right-sizing the genset for the minimum required load!
>  Figuring the proper load size is my next assignment.

I just found this on the GeneratorJoe site - that throws the decision up in
the air again --

Propane:
*Disadvantages: *
More expensive to operate by as much as 3-times the fuel consumption
compared to diesels;
Shorter life expectancy by a factor or 10 to 1for air-cooled models and 3
to 1 for water-cooled models compared to diesel powered GenSets
http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/genfuel.html

Sounds like there are efficiency issues beyond the BTUs of the fuels.

OK Don
2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager