On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:22:13 -0600 OK Don <okd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I still can't decide whether to go with Propane or Diesel. I have a 500
> > gal propane tank that is now only used for the grill and the small
> > guest house when it's really cold.
> > Propane is crazy expensive here, $1.60/gal, IIRC.
> > I've not had sucess finding comparative operations costs between the two
> > fuel sources.
>
> From http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/energy.html :
>         Fuel Energy Content & Conversions
>
> The exact values will vary depending on the quality of the fuel and in
> some cases the pressure.

> For the fuels in question,
>
>         1 gallon diesel = 139,200 BTU
>         1 gallon propane = 91,500 BTU
>
> So, from an energy perspective, 1 gallon propane = 0.657 gallon diesel.
>
> With on-road diesel at $4.189/gallon and guessing road taxes to be
> $0.50/gallon, that gives off-road diesel at $3.689/gallon. 0.657 gallon
> of diesel would then cost $2.42, which makes propane at $1.60/gallon less
> expensive.
>

> Craig

OK - thanks!

Now that I have a rational and scientific method to compare fuels, I
checked on real prices. I found that Propane cost us 2.60/gal last time we
filled - not the 1.60 that I quoted.
Current prices are:
Diesel road taxes in OK + Fed = $0.38/gal. (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Diesel_Taxes_April_2009.svg)
Diesel ranges from $3.49 to $4.29/gal. but is $3.63 at my usual station
now. (http://oklahomacitygasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D)
So $3.25/gal for a genset.
Propane is currently $2.02/gal from our supplier (need to top off the
tank!). American Propane Gas Company -
http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/LPG/Oklahoma/Oklahoma-City/

So, $3.25*0.657=$2.14 for Diesel vs. $2.02 for propane - not that much of a
delta. Even if the delta were reversed, it certainly is not enough for a
270 or so gallon Diesel tank installation to match the capacity I currently
have for propane. I should stay with what I have :)
Three gallons an hours at $6/hr for 24 hours = $145/day for electricity! No
wonder we buy it from the mass producers! This is a good argument for
right-sizing the genset for the minimum required load!
Figuring the proper load size is my next assignment.

OK Don
2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager