On 20/12/2012 2:09 PM, WILTON wrote:
I was thinking Bahston, and I was afraid of such on the living costs.

He's academically well-qualified for most anywhere, and is casting a wide net; it'll be interesting to see what sort of "offers/opportunities" develop. Overall, his best education vs cost is probably where he is - Chapel Hill (UNC-CH). He's already fairly well assured of a "slot" there.

Wilton

IF he is truly exceptional, then he may wish to do his undergrad degree somewhere else and then try to go to Harvard on their $$.

A young lady who used to date the elder son of the folks who live next door to us was such a case. She started doing a degree here at the University of Manitoba and did so well that she was offered a summer job in Ottawa with a lab. The folks she worked with there suggested she move to Montreal and go to McGill to finish her degree. McGill offered here a scholarship in (now I might get this part wrong but you will get the idea) Chemistry or Biology - not sure which.
In any event, she preferred Physics but they would not offer $$ in Physics.
So, she did both. Took the scholarship and did what they wanted her to do but took Physics too - a double major.

When she finished up she was wined and dined by a number of places - Harvard among them and Scripps (?) too.
She announced she was not interested after having a look at them.
Harvard told her to call them when she was ready, so she backpacked accross Europe and Asia for a year and then showed up at Harvard and they took her in on a full scholarship.
The last I heard, she was teaching at some University in NYC.

Did I mention she was blonde, slim, etc - maybe not gorgeous but certainly not bad.

And she has other talents. For example, she seemed able to play just about any instrument.

However, the last time I saw her, she dropped into my office to have some document witnessed and she was dressed just awful. I guess her mind is on other things.

Randy