Years ago (probably 20 or so) SWMBO was Executive Director of Community Arts Council; she called early one afternoon from local bank president's home; our '80 240D wouldn't start. Mr. and Mrs. Bnk Pres. wanted to call AAA for her; she said, "Let me call Wilton first." 'Just happened to catch me at home; I rushed over, pulled up behind the 240D, got out with broom stick in my hand; asked SWMBO to "get in, pull hood latch and when I say, 'Start it,' start it." I opened hood, stuck broom stick down into right rear of engine compartment, and, as I went "Bam, bam, bam!" with stick on starter, I said, "Start it!" 240D said, "Kernk!, RRDDDRR, RRDDRR, RRDDRR," etc. (Some call it 'klata, klata,' sounds more like RRDDRR, RRDDRR, RRDDRR, to me). Mr. and Mrs. Banker were amazed by my magic stick.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D starting woes update.

Funny story about starter abuse:

Co-worker had a PT Cruiser that had intermittent starting problems, as in it would not crank at random times. Knowing I had a "little" automotive experience (his words) he asked me if I had any idea as to the problem.

"Check all of your battery terminals, chassis grounds and the battery."

Next day it acts up again. He takes it to a Firestone shop across the street from work. Comes back at the end of the day with a new battery and cables.

A week later it pukes again in our parking structure. It goes back to Firestone. "Just had a loose cable. No charge!"

Yup, you guessed it. Did it again a few weeks later. Just so happens I was leaving late and he was there in the parking structure trying to get it to work.

"So what do you think it is, Dan?", Manny asks me. "Did you check everything I told you?" "Sure did. All the cables are tight, battery is new, etc."

"Got anything in the trunk like a tire iron or a golf club?"

<puzzled look>

"I have a baseball bat."

"Perfect! Bring it here."

So I manage to locate the starter, which on this PT Cruiser was in the front of the engine and fairly accessible. I took the bat and rapped on the starter with the end of the bat several times.

The car started.

He had the car for another 6-8 months before he sold it. Never failed to start again.

Dan

Sent from my iPad