Jim Cathey wrote:

I will say it again.  The drain hose is either split, probably
where it hooks onto the drain channel nipple, or it's pushed off
a little bit.  Or there is a rusty spot in the tray.  Some of the
water is not going where it's supposed to.

If he can pour a gallon down the drain without thinking he lost any (I suppose one could measure what comes out the bottom and compare to what went in the top) then I'd say some large fraction of it isn't making it to the drain hose when you aren't aiming it at the drain hose with a funnel.

If the hose/funnel combo went past the nipple into the hose, pushed off the nipple might still be in play. A rust hole in the tray seems odd given the
~10 year age of the car.

Mitch.