Rich Thomas wrote:
I have a roll of this really sticky gasket stuff that is about an inch wide, maybe 1/8" thick, that is used for sealing flanges on metal roofs. Not sure of the profile of the assembly (flat if it is on the roof?) but that stuff would seal well. If not, go with the goop and see if it works or not.

I suspect anybody with a HVAC or roofing background would steer you towards mastic or mastic tape if there's a place to stick it.

I did some checking, and from a ductwork perspective it sounds like mastic, scrim tape, and another layer of mastic is the preferred method.
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?180594-Mastic-vs-UL-tape-vs-both

Anybody know of a roofer's forum?

Anybody else think Robert got hit by a latent manufacturing defect?

Mitch.