When mine failed I found it very difficult to drive, but possible.  I'd
suggest taking it on a short drive around the neighborhood, assuming
you're in a low-traffic area, to see if you feel like it's
practical/safe to attempt driving to the shop.

The vacuum hose connects to a switch valve at the top of the engine
valve cover.  The valve is tied into the throttle linkage and has a
bunch of vacuum lines connected to it.  The line to the transmission
runs down and behind the engine.

Note that if you disconnect any vacuum lines you will want to plug the
open ends (golf tees work well) so that your other vacuum functions
(engine shut-off, door locks, etc.) continue to work.

Allan

Allan Streib