> OK wrote:
>
> Now, if I understand correctly, if my pickup has the required
> torque to pull the 4000 lb. trailer up Grapevine, and your lawn
> tractor doesn't, I'll be moving and you won't. So torque does
> matter, but more HP with the required torque means the work gets
> performed faster. Insufficient torque means no work is done.

Pretty close.  What you describe would be correct if it were not
for the transmission.

However, the transmission "trades" "speed" and "torque" (much like a
electric transformer "trades" volts and amps - but the watts stay
the same).  So a 'phone vibration motor connected through a
transmission with a deep enough low gear could pull that trailer up
Grapevine! Probably we would have to measure the speed by years or
decades, though. *smiles*

This means that my little tractor, with it's very, very low gearing
will be able to pull the trailer because the transmission is
trading away speed until there is enough torque.  But with only 7
HP, the speed will be very slow.

> If Curt wants to haul a load of gravel to camp, he'll need a
> minimum amount of torque to accomplish the job, regardless of how
> fast it gets done.
>
> Did I get it right?

Just remember that the lower gear ratios of the transmission
_increase_ torque and _decrease_ speed.  So if there isn't enough
torque - downshift.  Of course, that only works until you run out
of gears...  Higher horsepower means higher speed at the torque
needed to do the job.

Usually - as that ugly headed real-world gets in the way and messes
this all up with transmission ratios that don't line up well to
engine power band, torque curves over RPM, etc.  Nothing is as
simple as simple physics says it should be!

--  Philip