Note that it was Democrats who supported slavery (Brooks, who issued the
beating, and his colleagues were all Democrats) and (eventually)
Republicans who supported civil rights and abolishing slavery.  In
Orwellian fashion, the narrative has been re-written for political
advantage...

Max
Charleston SC