There was a show (actually 2) on PBS last night about Ol' Lyndon. In the early days, his Senate? election was running very close, he was losing by a bit, then miraculously a ballot box was found from South Texas that put him over by 70? votes. But what I recall was his very clear support for segregation, etc. and the Veetnam war (and Tonkin Gulf resolution, which he and everyone else knew was el merde del toro) that ended up killing, what, 50k Americans and countless Vietnamese, and screwed this country up pretty good. He did come around on the civil rights issue, which is A Good Thing, but he and others of his ilk were rabid segregationists, racists, etc. going back a long ways. Ol' George Wallace (D) was a major element of that, as was our own Ol' Strom (father of Bessie Mae), the Dixiecrats.

Watching the part about him playing second fiddle to JFK got me wondering about his... never mind.

BTW the PBS shows about the presidents are not too bad, as long as you apply the PBS filter.

--FT (DISCLAIMER: I shook George Wallace's hand once, after his political semi-reconstruction, and after his physical destruction. He and his posse had to park their airplane next to our lab hangar at Purdue to wait out tstorms, and go into the cafe to get a hamburger and Coke, so my buddies and I walked across the ramp to the airplane to say hi. Things were a lot easier then.)