The way Harry's deal worked was that you bought and licensed the car in OR, with an OR address. Then after some number of months, you "move" to MI and register the car there 20 to 30 days later. Most states give you 30 days, but I knew of one woman who drove for years with an expired GA plate while living 2 states away.

When you own the car and move, the new state does not charge you sales tax. (with some caveats, like a required time between purchase and "moving."

G Mann via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM
Every state that I know of has a provision for "Out of state sale"... you
buy the car in one state, take it to YOUR state and register it.. license
it.. etc.. you pay sales tax in YOUR state.. not the state of the seller..

Some differences exist between various states laws.. but in principle.. all
the same..

Check into it.. ask the dealer in the state that has the car you want..