No car stuff yesterday.  I needed a mental health day from cars…

So this morning against my better judgement I figured I would replace the belt
tensioner on the 300SEL.  I wasn’t looking forward to this job, as I recalled
it being a real PITA on the oldest son’s former 300E 2.6.

It was amazingly easy, almost scary in that regard, as I got it completely torn
apart in under 30 minutes.

So now I’ll go back out and clean parts and begin the reassembly.  If anyone
has any pointers/suggestions on properly tensioning the belt on an M103 I’m all
ears.  I’ve read what I can from the manuals and various forums, but none of it
seems that clear cut.  I’ve got a new tensioner and a pointer for it, as the
old one had no pointer.  The idler pulley on it was shot, that is, the bearing,
as it made a “ticking” noise when you spun it.

The belt that is on the engine is good, but I think I've got a new one.  Gotta
dig around in the new parts inventory to see if it’s there.  I’ll need to clean
all the pulleys on the engine and related components as the grooves are all
filled with cruft from either crud or a failed previous belt that left remnants
behind.

This is good.  I feel a lot better about this now that it came apart so easily.

I’m going to check the fan clutch to make sure it’s full of fluid, too.  If not
I’ll add some.

-D