More on carbs:

Try to include more rye vs. wheat. My favorite is a rye or pumpernickel bread
made with 50% whole wheat and 50% rye (plus a bit of gluten added to make up
for the lack in the rye). When I make this bread I do it from freshly milled
flour I do at home. I have a good bread machine recipe if anyone is interested.

The carbohydrates in rye are mostly made up of pentose sugars (5 carbon
molecule) rather than glucose or fructose (6 carbon) . These metabolize more
slowly and also hydrate much more while going through the digestive system,
giving a feeling of fullness. Also, the pentose sugars happen to be important
building blocks of DNA and RNA.

Some people complain that this "binds them up".

Greg