Just checked with Costco.

Bzzzt!! Wrong!  Unless you buy a branded tire (Kirkland?) made specifically for
the warehouse, the brand name tires are identical to the same name tire sold
elsewhere.  Also, the warranty booklet says you can have the tire repaired or
replaced by any Michelin approved tire shop. No exclusivity to Costco.

Just to be sure I got the SKU for my tire and was able to find the exact same
tire using the SKU on Tire Rack and elsewhere.

Nearly every online reference I saw to the subject was at least five years old.
 Even Consumer Reports dismissed it.

-D