On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Curt Raymond wrote:

Yeah its a 2.2l 5spd. I was a bit ahead of myself saying 40mpg, it was more like 38.

  -Curt

A slight miscalculation just like this caused my car to sputter. Luckily I was in front of the only supermarket in our town. I went in and bought 2- 1/2gals of veggie oil and poured it in the tank (~$7, much cheaper than a tow or roadside assistance). I then immediately drove the 20+ miles to the nearest diesel pump and filled up. I must say that the engine quieted down, was smoother and the exhaust smelled nothing like it had before. Even after the tank was full of #2 some of these benefits (quiet and smooth) were still evident.

I've had varying experiences when running out of fuel with different cars. One 190D would just stop running with no prior symptoms other than the low fuel light, which lit for mere seconds. One of our coupes would feel as if you were running into gusts of wind, then eventually slow way down and barely move for quite a few miles with the pedal to the floor. With my most used 300TD the light would light and it would allow me to drive close to 30 mi before it sputtered, then within 1-2 mi it would cease to run dropping cylinders until it shut down. I intentionally run them out on occasion to facilitate cleaning/ changing the in-tank screen or if I need to change a fuel line by the tank. Its good to detect this behavior prior to making decisions when low on fuel.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am