I can't  " just slide it back" now.  the floor jack under the trans is pretty far forward and I can't get the trans to slide forward on the block of wood that is on the jack. (or the jack to roll back without taking the trans with it.  If I mess with it much, the trans will fall backwards.    (CG is almost off the jack)   I don't want to start over.  I think turning the trans shaft or engine is the key