I rarely hear my fans unless I’m rendering video, and even then not that much.
As Jim said, I hear my hard drives more than my fans.

There were rack mount versions sort of until 2010 - the Xserve products, but I
don’t think any of them were as powerful as the cheesegraters. At least not
past the 3,1.

I had a couple of these and an Xserve RAID in my garage some years back. They
were horribly inefficient and produced massive amounts of heat as one would
expect from an enterprise grade server. However, I did like the 14TBs of
storage on the Xserve RAID! That thing was a beast.

I retired them and sold them off. It was a silly exercise on my part,
fortunately, I got them cheap as working pulls from a local parochial school
that was upgrading their infrastructure so I didn’t lose any money in the deal.

-D