> Am I to understand this involves cutting off/removing the metal can
> covering the CPU's chip?

Yes.  Some people use a vise and extreme force.  Others, including me,
use heat to melt the solder.  There is a low-temperature indium (?) solder
used to solder the top of the die directly to a heavy copper heat-spreader
plate that's formed into the lid.

> How does that improve things?

I can only assume that it's getting a bit of series thermal resistance out
of there.  And that eliminating that was helpful to get the desired thermal
margins for the forced-to-be-smaller heat sinks used in the duals.  I'm guessing
that the Apple sinks are high-efficiency, so that the heat spreader plate
was doing no good, only a bit of harm.

Clearly not 100% necessary, as I believe the dual 5,1's went back to
the regular lidded processors.  It might just be that the later silicon was
a bit lower in power draw, so that the could go back to normal and not
worry about it.

-- Jim