I have two active cheese graters in my little work-from-home office, close
enough
to touch, and with the exception of the 'bad RAM' episode they never make any
significant noise.  (Some RAM went bad, causing the thermal management subsystem
to decide to try to eject the RAM from the box via increased airflow, or so it
seemed.
They get LOUD when in thermal distress, either real or perceived.)

Of much greater impact was replacing my hovercraft-ey gigabit Ethernet switch
with
a fanless 24-port model, followed by replacing the G4 (sawtooth) with a 2014
Mac Mini.
The G4's fan was nice enough as fans go, but it was always running.  (The G4
doesn't
have fan-speed adjustments, and everything newer does.)  The G4 performed well
as our backup and web server, for years, but it's now in storage.

-- Jim