This is why I keep a length of bulk hose on hand at all times. The hard vacuum
lines are often either missing or so brittle that the minute you fiddle with
them they shatter into a million pieces.

You can get a good idea of what attaches to what just looking at the line
drawing I linked to, but there should e a vacuum line drawing in the engine
compartment, I think. If not, you can find them online, too.

These are temperature switches that direct or cut off vacuum to various parts
of the injection system based on coolant temperature. The switches just screw
in/out of the block, and if you relive pressure on the cooling system can be
changed with minimal leakage, if any. These are critical to the proper
operation of the system, as they affect how it responds based on engine
temperature. That and vacuum leaks are a BAD THING for any of these cars, too.
It would be interesting to see if any of the vacuum ports on the manifold and
injection system are capped off. If not, it’s guaranteed to run poorly, if at
all.

This is real elementary stuff, so don’t be amazed by it. Again, I can’t
emphasize enough how important it is to get everything back to original in this
regard before doing any troubleshooting. For that matter, if you’re living
right getting everything hooked up properly could very well make it work just
fine. But until you do, you’re treading water. There’s no way to know if the
fuel system is working properly until it’s restored back to it’s proper working
configuration.

I’ve had more than one car that’s been just lousy until I sorted out all the
hoses and fittings and made them right again. You know how crappy the diesels
and shifting are if the vacuum isn’t right? Pretty much the same concept.

-D