On Tue, June 30, 2020 6:28 am, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
> What is the Chevy equivalent of the larger Buicks? Do they share a
> platform? I had a late 90s Malibu as a company car for a bit, and it was
> pretty small. I'm not familiar with the Impala, guess I need to have a
> look.

Those 90s Malibus had their own bodies on the N platform (Achieva/Grand Am).
My mom had one, my cousin's future son in law drove a 4 door Cavalier.
One time I took Mom's Malibu (actually a Classic) to my cousin's shop, the
kid's fiance came over, and I tried to get my car parts out of the trunk
of his Cavalier.

The Impala was a RWD on the Caprice platform for a while, then it became
(and still is) Chevy's biggest FWD sedan. There was a squad car version of
the first generation, but the Crown Vic killed it in the marketplace,
before the Explorer/Tahoe/etc killed the sedans. I don't know if the FWD
Impala ever had a pushrod engine. One of my clients used to do delivery
work in a first gen FWD, I think it had a 3.5 engine. He put a junkyard
engine in it at around 250k, and swapped junkyard engines when they hit
about 200-300k. I think it had over 400k on the chassis when he quit
driving it.