Replacing the filter first is really the way to do it. Unfortunately,
what I've observed is that the lazy SOBs use the machine when they
DON'T want to go to the trouble of dropping the pan and replacing the
filter.

Whichever way you go, make sure you understand what you're paying for
before the work is done. Then, make sure it really did get done the
way you wanted!

The theory's all good, but in general, the only guys I've ever heard
recommend the use of the flushing machines were guys that had to make
payments on a brand new flushing machine. YMMV.

Gary Thompson
1995 E320