That's probably true.
I'm pretty sure I wait longer than I should.
I just waited until around 110K on my Subaru when it would occasionally not
go into gear until I let off the throttle under certain conditions.  Then
did the same thing at around 220K on it.  Still working just like it
should.  Not to say that every tranny will.  I WILL say that I tried
switching to Redline Full synthetic ATF at that first tranny flush.  It did
NOT work there.  The tranny slipped like mad, barely moved at all.  Had to
go reflush it with regular ATF...
Did My wife's Subaru around 100K when the AWD was binding.  The center
diff(or rather an electrically controlled, tranny fluid powered multi-clutch
pack) just didn't want to completely disengage around corners.  I figured we
had a big bill coming to rebuild the clutch pack.  Sure enough, a tranny
flush fixed it just fine (or at least it has been for the last 30-40K
miles...)

I was REALLY hoping, it was going to fix my thunking shifts in my 83' 300D,
but no luck.  I suppose I'm going to have to go vacuum hunting to try and
fix that one...

Levi (: