I don't think they're "power" or "back" flushing anything.
The ones I've seen and had done hook up in-line with the tranny cooler
lines.  I believe the tranny's really doing all the pumping.  The machine
just has a couple reservoirs for clean and dirty oil and you can see the
nasty junk come out and the good stuff go in, and you proceed until the oil
coming out looks nice and clean.
Much better in my opinion that simply changing maybe 1/2 the fluid and
leaving the rest old and nasty in the torque converter.  (since most cars
don't allow you to drain it like the Mercedes).

Levi