I have a thousand gallon propane tank in the back yard I use to fuel the
furnace in the pole barn.  When my parents built the house in 1956 propane and
fuel oil were the two choices, no natural gas line.

When the local utility put in natural gas in the 80's Mom got tapped in and
converted the furnace in the house (hot water boiler) and got a gas stove --Pop
would not put in a gas stove due propane being denser than air -- had
investigated a few explosions due to propane or butane pooling in a basement.

I don't keep the tank full, usually only use a couple hundred gallons a year.
Still have a propane wall furnace in the room Mom and Pop converted from a big
porch, but I've not used it in years.  I have it there if the power goes out
for an extended period, it will probably keep the pipes from freezing.