> You can buy an interlock plate which is a sliding piece of sheet metal which
> physically prevents you from having the topmost circuit breaker and the main
> breaker turned on at the same time. I'm not up to date on whether this is
> code compliant, but it does physically prevent backfeeding the grid through
> the breaker the interlock blocks.

I think this is code-compliant, at least sometimes.  This is the 'cheap' way to
have
a manually-enabled dedicated generator circuit, officially.

Great for new construction, but not usually an option later.

The thing I loathe is the subpanel that the generator runs.  You have to choose,
at construction time, which circuits are capable of being generator-run and
which
are not.  I want to choose, dynamically.  The entire house is powered, and you
simply
learn not to turn on too much or the generator breakers pop, and you have to
rectify
the situation.

It's also good for training kids/wives about the value of turning off things
when
you're not using them.

-- Jim