> The last time the power went out the house behind me lit up in 20 seconds.
> He has a generac.

Yes, that's stunningly convenient, and quite attractive.  The problem here, and
likely for many,
 is fuel.

We don't have NG, nor propane.  It's all carried in in cans or bottles, one way
or
another.  Given the moderate PITA that would be frequent fueling, the extra PITA
of the connectivity to the generator itself is, incrementally, not that much
worse.

Hey, it's just 15 easy steps!  :-)

The neighbors have a whole-house battery backup system.  Their problem is that
they
never know the power went out, so they don't know to begin conservation!  Often
until
it's too late.  (One little comfort space heater and your batteries are sucked
dry in a few
hours.)

-- Jim