Big Bertha, which if wired in optimally would run everything but the electric
furnace, no muss no fuss, is a thirsty girl.  (And it could even handle the
furnace
too if it were strapped for 3-phase, which BB has, but that's a MAJOR rewiring,
with quite a large throw-the-switch-Igor knife switch since utility power here
is not 3-phase.  Alas, only a fantasy at this time.)

At roughly 3 gallons an hour, no load, a typical 500 gallon tank, assuming it
were half-full on average, could only get me maybe three days of running.
We've been out of power for up to a week here so far in my tenure.

If the only thing on propane were BB I could get maybe 5-6 days on a full tank.
That week-long power outage would cost me $1000+, which is a bit steep
for mere convenience.

BB is just not practical to have on an automatic basis.  Currently we use
gas-powered rope-pull in the evenings, batteries only during daylight, and
save up washing and bathing for a limited Big Bertha daylight sessions
every few days.  That seems to be a nice compromise.

-- Jim